Destin, FL, is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations, and with good reason. First of all, the natural beauty here is so all-encompassing, it will take your cares away instantly. The white-sugar sands and grassy dunes and the emerald green waters that fade into sapphire blues will lull you into a relaxed state almost as soon as you lay eyes on the beach and breathe in the salty air. If you find yourself on vacation here, you are in for a real treat. Well, several treats, in fact.
Aside from the scenery, local businesses are on the ball in providing you with experiences that will entertain you, whatever your tastes.
- Buccaneer Pirate Cruise: What could be more fun than a Destin pirate cruise? This is truly fun for the whole family, as their are interactive activities geared specifically for the little ones and a snack bar with cocktails for adults. Weddings aboard the Buccaneer and private cruises are available too. The 100-foot motor vessel, inspected and approved by the US Coast Guard, can comfortably accommodate 149 passengers. There are two restrooms and a covered quarter deck, as well as a galley with food and gifts.
The tour is led by an experienced sea captain, and you will be entertained by sword fights, water gun battles, singing, dancing, storytelling, and a treasure hunt. If that seems like a little too much action for you, just kick back and relax and take in the gorgeous scenery as you watch the sunlight dance off the shimmering waterways.
- Jet Ski: If you want to get closer to the water and experience a little thrill, renting a Destin jet ski might be the way to go for you. In the open water, you can get up to about 65 mph, which is such a rush, as the wind, sun, and sea spray make you feel like a part of your environment. It’s easy to feel like this is exactly where you belong when you’re racing along and jumping waves. Idling near the shore is a separate adventure of its own though, so don’t hesitate to make some time to do that as well. Then you can see the sealife better and you can call out to others who might by sunbathing or idling on their own personal watercraft. It’s a great way to interact with other vacationers and locals alike if you are the type to enjoy socializing. Just make sure you follow safety guidelines. You must be 14 or older to operate a jet ski. And you need to take an online boater safety course to make sure you know the rules of the waterways. It’s not complicated and it can go a long way in keeping you and those around you safe so everybody can enjoy their time on the beautiful waters around Destin.
- Dolphin Cruise: A trip to Destin in hardly complete without spending some time observing the local dolphins. They seem to enjoy performing for the people aboard the dolphin cruises, so you’re almost guaranteed to see a few of them swimming and jumping, and you may even hear them chatter back and forth to each other while they are cavorting. If you want to ensure an excellent experience, look no further than Destin’s original dolphin cruise outfit, the Southern Star. Featured on CNN and National Geographic Explorer, this 80-foot motor vessel seats 149 people. There are two restrooms, a covered upper deck, and a climate controlled cabin. The cruise lasts two hours and includes a narrated history of the Destin Harbor. If the waters are calm enough, the boat will head out into the Gulf of Mexico in search of dolphins. Alternatively, cruising in the Chattahoochee Bay is another great way to see dolphins. Passengers can feed the birds too while learning about dolphins and other sea life.
Snacks and gifts are available, but alcohol and smoking are prohibited. Reservations are suggested, as the Southern Star is a popular boat and fills quickly.
- Deep Sea Fishing: Destin is known as “the world’s luckiest fishing village.” It would be a shame then, don’t you think, if you vacationed here without experiencing a Destin deep sea fishing trip? The 100 Proof Charters crew can give you a memory to last a lifetime. Some of the fish you might expect to catch include red snapper, mahi-mahi, amber jack, grouper, mackerel, trigger fish, vermilion snapper, shark, Cobia, and marlin. You can take a 4-hour family fishing expedition. Or if you’re looking for a marathon trip, book a 48-hour expedition! You will be provided with the finest supplies, such as fishing rods, reels, bait, and tackle. Captain Ben O’Connor grew up in Destin and has fished these waters his entire life. Fishing is one of his favorite things to do, and his passion for the sport is infectious. He is licensed and certified by the US Coast Guard, so you know you will be in good hands. And the crew prides itself on keeping the boat, 100 Proof Charter, in pristine shape.
- Luxury Vacation Rentals: There are accommodations of all sorts scattered all over Destin, of course, but if you want a truly memorable vacation here, you should seriously consider going high-end and using White Sand Vacation Rentals for a taste of luxury. All of the properties represented by White Sand are tastefully decorated, and they all come with private pools and street legal golf carts that can get you to wherever your heart desires. Oh, and did we mention the pools are heated? Screened porches and with hammocks are perfect for enjoying some downtime with your loved ones while you take a break from the sun and water sports. One home has 6 bedrooms and 5.5 baths. Another home offers an in-law suite for added privacy. The homes are located within a block or two of the Gulf of Mexico, so you’ll be staying in the heart of paradise. Those golf carts come in handy when you have children in tow and are carrying beach chairs, floats, coolers, blankets, umbrellas, or any of the other beach paraphernalia it takes to have a good day on the beach.